Dec 8, 2014
1 Samuel 16:1-13
The Shadow King . . .
· David was an unexpected king who would reign over Israel for 40 years. (1 Samuel 16:6-12; 1 Kings 2:11)
· David would be anointed as king of Israel, but not as King of Kings. (1 Samuel 16:13)
· David would save Israel from her enemies.
o David saved Israel from the Philistines.
The Perfect King . . .
God spoke through the prophets that someone much greater than David was coming. (Isaiah 9:6-7; Micah 5:2-5; Ezekiel 34:23-24; 37:24-28; Hosea 3:5)
· Jesus is the unexpected King who came, and our expectant King who will come again and reign forever.
· Jesus is the Anointed One who rules and reigns heaven and earth.
· Jesus brings salvation to all who turn from sin and turn to Him for the forgiveness of sin.
o He delivers us from the enemy of sin and death. (Romans 4:25; Romans 5:20-21; 1 Corinthians 15:55-57)
o He will deliver and save true remnant of Israel. (Isaiah 11:1-5, 10-16)
Jesus Christ is the true King for whom the world has longed.