May 10, 2015
Amplify: The Sower, The Seeds and The Soil
A Story Worth Listening To . . .
Jesus strongly encourages those who hear to listen. (Mark 4:3, 9)
· The sower speaks to the one who scatters the seed.
o The Spirit of God
o Every believer (Matthew 28:20)
§ We aren’t called to test the soil, but rather we are called to spread the gospel of Christ.
· As God gives opportunity, help cultivate the soil of those whom God places in your life.
· The seed speaks to the word of God. (Mark 4:15)
· The soil speaks to receptivity of each person to whom the word is spoken.
o The soil of a hard heart. (Mark 4:4, 14-15)
§ Resistant to the word of God
o The soil of a shallow heart. (Mark 4:5, 16-17)
§ Receive the word until it becomes difficult.
o The soil of a culture-craving heart. (Mark 4:7, 18-19)
§ Relinquish the word for cravings of the flesh.
o The soil of a prepared heart. (Mark 4:8, 20)
§ Reap the fruit of the word of God at work in them.
A Story Worth Taking to Heart . . .
· The responsibility of every believer is to know the word and amplify the gospel.
o You can’t spread the word if you don’t know the word.
· The rich soil of a cultivated heart is fertile ground in which the Word of God takes deep root and bears much fruit.
· When I am attentive to the Word, I am more prone to be inattentive to sin. (Psalm 119:11)
Questions for Discussion . . .
1. As a follower of Christ, how serious are you about spreading the word of God where He has strategically placed you? (home, work, school, neighborhood, community, friendships, etc.,) What has compelled you to be serious about it? In what ways do you need to be more serious about it?
2. What are some relationships that God has entrusted to you where He is giving you the opportunity to help cultivate the soil of a person’s heart? Ultimate God prepares the soil, but He often will use us as an instrument in His hands.
3. Discuss the different type of soils that Jesus mentions in Mark 4:1-20. Where would you say that you are in your life when it comes to receiving the word of God? What needs to change? What do you need to do to ensure that the soil stays prepared?
4. Discuss the statement that Pastor Shawn mentioned “When I am attentive to the Word, I am more prone to be inattentive to sin.”
5. As you close your time together, think of individuals God has placed in your life who are resistant to the gospel and spend time praying for them specifically; that God would break up the hard soil of their heart so as to receive the gospel of Christ.