Feb 8, 2015
Remember . . .
Mark is amplifying the gospel: King Jesus has come and He is Lord of all. (v.1)
Jesus Has Authority in His Teaching . . .
· When Jesus taught, people were amazed. (v. 22)
· When Jesus taught, He did so with authority. (v.22)
o He did not teach as the scribes. (Matthew 7:28-29; Mark 7:5-13)
Jesus Has Authority Over Demons . . .
o Demons are fallen angels. (Rev. 12:4)
o Demons are limited in their power.
o Demons are actively at work to carry out the schemes of Satan.
o Demons are able to oppress but NOT possess followers of Christ.
· The demons are fully aware of who Jesus is, and they are terrified. (v. 23-24)
o They recognize Jesus as the One sent by God. (v. 24)
o They understand their ultimate destiny. (v. 24)
· The demons must submit to the authority of Christ.
o Jesus is the true King who is Lord of all. (Philippians 2:10-11)
Jesus Has Authority Over Sickness and Disease . . .
· Jesus is sovereign over physical illnesses that are a result of living in a broken world.
o Sickness and disease exist in this world and painfully remind us that we live in a world affected by sin.
o Because of the death and resurrection of Christ, we experience the power of His healing. (Isaiah 53:5; Matthew 8:17; Revelation 21:4-5)
§ By His sovereign will some are healed immediately but temporarily.
§ By His grace, those who have trusted Christ as Savior and Lord, healing is ultimate and eternal.
· There is nothing that we encounter in life over which Jesus does not have ultimate authority.
· In our helplessness and hopelessness Christ has come that as we submit to His authority we experience His power.
Questions for Discussion:
1. Why were those who heard Jesus teach so amazed? What amazes you most about the teachings of Jesus?
2. The Word of God affirms Jesus as the Living Word, and the Living Word (Jesus) affirms the written word. What does this say regarding the authority of Scripture and the importance of it for us?
3. The scribes were leaders who were knowledgeable of the Torah but not followers of the Law. How did Jesus respond to them? What does this say to us in how we view and apply God’s Word? (Look at Mark 7:5-13)
4. Why do you believe the demons recognized Jesus? What did they know that the people didn’t recognize?
5. What does Jesus’ authority over demons mean for us today? How can it affect your life?
6. In what ways can demonstrations of the authority of Jesus be used to amplify the gospel of Christ in your circles of influence and around the world?