Dec 1, 2013
Advent Defined . . .
· Advent means arrival; appearance; coming
In Israel’s darkest days, God offered hope through the promised coming of Messiah (the Christ).
· Israel experienced destruction (Isaiah 6:9-13)
· Israel was distressed, wandering in darkness and the gloom of anguish (Isaiah 8:20-22)
· God promised the Messiah who would come. (Isaiah 6:9-13; 9:1-7; 11:1-5)
The coming of Messiah would be the hope for all people. (Romans 15:8-13)
· His coming would show God’s truthfulness to Israel. (“the root of Jesse will come”)
· His coming would fulfill the promises given to the patriarchs.
· His coming would reveal His mercy for all people.
The Hope of Advent . . .
· In your darkest of days there is hope, yet not without Christ.
“Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope . . .” 1 Timothy 1:1
o Jesus Christ is the only hope for all people in all places.
· Hope will abound in you when, by faith, you trust in Him as your hope of salvation.
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” Romans 15:13
The Question You Must Answer . . .
What hope do I have?