Apr 7, 2014
Simon at the Crossroads . . .
· Simon did not just observe Passover on that day; he carried the wooden altar upon which the true Passover Lamb of God would be crucified.(Exodus 12:21-27)
“The next day he (John the Baptist) saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, ‘Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” John 1:29
“For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.” 1 Corinthians 5:7b
“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!” Revelation 5:12
· What would have disqualified him from observing Passover actually became the means by which He would truly be saved.
“Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and many went up from the country to Jerusalem before the Passover to purify themselves.” John 11:55
· Simon carrying the cross is a vivid reminder of the cost involved in following Jesus Christ.
“And Jesus said to all, ‘If anyone would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me.” Luke 9:23
“Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count he cost, whether he has enough to complete it?” Luke 14:27-28
“ . . . that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and may share His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death . . .” Philippians 4:10
o The Lamb of God died on the cross for my sin therefore, I will raise high the cross of Christ in my life.
The Crossroads I Face . . .
1. Am I willing to come out from the crowd to take up the cross?
2. Have I considered the cost of following Christ?