Jun 24, 2013
Song of Solomon 5:2-6:12
· Conflict is inevitable in marriage.
o I am a sinner.
· Conflict happens because we feel wronged, or our desires and needs have not been met.
o We are hurt
o Lack of communication
o Unmet expectations
Navigating through conflict in a Christ-honoring way . . .
1. Always pursue reconciliation, not retaliation.
• When it comes to conflict within the marriage the goal is not to win the fight, but to reconcile the relationship. (Ephesians 5:25-33)
§ Speak the truth (Ephesians 4:15)
• Prayerfully examine your heart first (Matthew 7:4)
• Keep your motives in check
• Choose your timing carefully
§ Speak in love (Ephesians 4:29)
2. Determine to resolve conflict quickly, but not superficially.
• Unresolved conflict results in an undercurrent of bitterness and resentment. (Ephesians 4:26-27)
3. Be humble in seeking forgiveness and gracious in granting forgiveness. (Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 3:12-15)
4. Be committed to the covenant you have made with each other. (Song of Solomon 5:16; 6:3)