Jun 17, 2013
Song of Solomon 3:6-5:1
The Wedding Day . . .
· This is a sacred celebration. (3:6-7a)
o It is pleasing to God
o It is an expression of the gospel story
o It is a public declaration
· She feels a sense of security. (3:7-8)
o She feels safe with him
o He is her shade, and his fruit is sweet to her
o He provides for her (3:9-10)
· He gives her his best.
o All he has is hers.
Later that Night . . .
· He speaks to her. (4:1)
· He notices her beauty. (4:1-7)
o “ . . .there is no flaw in you.”
· He creates an environment of intimacy that is safe and gentle. (4:8-15)
o Patience and gentleness
· They enjoy the pleasure of sexual intimacy. (4:11, 16-5:1)
o God created sex to be pleasurable, passionate, and enjoyable within the context of marriage.
“Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth, a lovely deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts fill you at all times with delight; be intoxicated always in her love.” Proverbs 5:18-19
“Sex is like a thermometer in marriage, not a thermostat, in that it measures the health of your intimacy rather than sets it.”