Sep 9, 2012
Practical Truths About Real Life . . .
1. Real life is full of temptations.
“Let no one say when he is tempted . . .” (James 1:13a)
“But each one is tempted . .” (James 1:14a)
· Temptations inevitably happen.
2. Temptations are not of God.
“Let no one say when he is tempted, ‘I am being tempted by God,’ for God cannot be tempted with evil, and He himself tempts no one.” (James 1:13)
· God is not to blame.
o The tendency of fallen humanity is to deflect personal responsibility of sin to the fault of someone or something else. (Genesis 3:9-13)
· Satan is not ultimately to blame.
3. Temptation progresses when my heart wanders.
“But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.” (James 1:14-15)
The progression . . .
· Desire—Greek word “epithumia,” which is translated “lust.” It is connected with your emotions. Sin begins with desires that are unchecked.
o “lured”—hunting term used to lure an animal in a trap.
o “enticed”—fishing term meaning to set a bait to catch fish.
· Temptation—rationalize and justify that which you are lusting after.
· Sin—the result of giving in to the lust of your heart.
· Death—sin leads to destruction.
You will never turn from a sin you don’t hate, and you will never hate sin until you love God more.
Truth Statement: What I delight in shapes what I desire. (Psalm 37:4)