Oct 7, 2013
1 John 2:18-27
It is critical in these days to be able to discern between truth and deception.
The Great Deception . . .
· The Antichrist who will come: he is called the Son of Destruction; man of lawlessness; defies God; controlled by Satan; the final antichrist; denies the Father and the Son. (1 John 2:22; 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12)
· The antichrists who now have come: those who profess that Jesus is not from God; deny the deity of Jesus; liars and deceivers. (1 John 4:3; 2 John 7; 1 John 2:22)
o “they”—those within the church or Christian community who were imposters. (1 John 2:19)
§ The spirit of antichrist denies that Jesus is the Christ and that Jesus is God. (v. 22-23a)
Implication: Those within the Church are not necessarily true followers of Christ.
The Truth . . .
· True followers of Christ are anointed by the Holy Spirit.
o The Spirit of God enables us to know the knowledge of truth. (v. 20-21)
o The Spirit of God enables us to practice righteousness. (v. 29)
1. Abide in the word.
2. Abide in Christ.
Questions to Answer . . .
· What is the evidence of your life that affirms you are in Christ?
· Are you abiding in the word of God so that you might be able to discern what is a lie?