Jun 9, 2014
The Advance of the Gospel . . .
The gospel of Christ advances most often in unexpected places during the most difficult and undesirable circumstances. (v.12-13)
· Those who seek to constrain the gospel end up seeing the opposite effect in the advance of the gospel.
Gospel Courage . . .
There is a courage that the gospel ignites in those who are captured by and consumed with the gospel. (v.14)
· To be captured by the gospel means that I have surrendered to who Christ is and what He has done to save a sinner like me.
· To be consumed by the gospel means that I unashamedly speak the gospel of grace and give evidence to the effect of the gospel in my life.
A Life Worthy of the Gospel of Christ . . .
A life worthy of the gospel is one that courageously lives to make much of the greatness of Christ. (v.20-21)
· We make much of the greatness of Christ by finding our soul-satisfaction in Him alone.
o To live means I will make much of Christ. He is worth living for and nothing else compares. (v.22)
o To die means that although I lose this life, I gain in being with Christ. (v.23)
· We make much of the greatness of Christ by standing firm in unity. (v.27)
· We make much of the greatness of Christ as we contend for the faith of the gospel and not give in to fear. (v.28-29)