Nov 16, 2014
1 Thessalonians 5:18; Colossians 2:6-7
The Need for Gratitude . . .
Where godlessness abounds, gratefulness is absent. (2 Timothy 3:1-5)
· A heart that lacks gratitude is indicative of a heart that is full of self.
· At the core of ungratefulness is the belief that we don’t need God.
Thankful IN All Things . . .
“Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18
Give thanks in all things, not for all things.
· Give thanks to God when things are good.
· Give thanks to God when things are difficult. (Habakkuk 3:17-19)
The Source of My Gratitude . . .
“Therefore, as you received Jesus Christ the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.” Colossians 2:6-7
The extent of my gratitude to God is a reflection of the depth of my grounding in Christ.
· When we are grateful, it is a reflection of something much deeper than the words we speak or the actions we do. It speaks of whom our life is rooted in.
o Gratitude comes from being rooted in Christ.
o Gratitude increases as I grow in Christ.
o Gratitude is expressed in all circumstances as my faith is established in Christ.
When I daily acknowledge God’s grace toward me, it will dramatically affect the level of my gratitude to Him.
Living a Life of Gratitude . . .
· Make a list of what you have to be grateful for, and thank God every day this week for each.
· Ask God to help you express gratitude more than complaining this week.
· Make time to show gratitude to someone to whom you need to express gratefulness.