Aug 26, 2012
“Real Life - Part I” August 26th, 2012
· James, the brother of Jesus, wrote this letter (epistle). (James 1:1)
o Leader of the church in Jerusalem
o Martyred in A.D. 62
o Wrote this letter in A.D. mid 40’s.
· This letter was written to the Jewish Christians scattered beyond Jerusalem. (James 1:1)
o Old Testament Dispersion: Captivity and Exile
o New Testament Dispersion: Persecution
· It’s a revealing letter.
o God uses real life issues to reveal real faith.
· It’s a practical letter.
o Practical wisdom on how to navigate wisely through real life.
· It is a challenging letter.
o There are over 50 calls to obedience to live out real faith in real life.
Practical Truths About Real Life . . .
1. Real life demands a real choice. (James 1:1)
“a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ . . .”
· Bondservant: one who gives himself up wholly to another’s will; not forced, but willingly.
Truth Statement: Who or what I serve will influence how I live out my life.
2. Real life involves real struggles. (James 1:2-4)
· Trials are a part of real life.
“ . . . when you meet (encounter; face) trials of various kinds . . .” (v.2)
· Trials will test the genuineness or maturity of my faith. (v.3)
“ . . . for you know that the testing of your faith produces steafastness.”
· Trials are purposeful in maturing me spiritually so that I become more like Christ. (v.2, 4)
“And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”
(Philippians 1:6; Matthew 5:48)
“Count (Consider) it all joy . . .”
Truth Statement: As a bondservant of Christ He is our greatest joy and the gospel is our greatest aim.
3. Real life needs real wisdom. (v.5-8)
· Ask in faith and God will give generously.
· Doubt God and you will be unstable, receiving nothing from God.
o Doubting is when I ask God and then run ahead to try and resolve the issue; or when I give up on God because His timing isn’t my timing.
Truth Statement: When I encounter the trials of real life, God’s wisdom is what I need most.
Making it Practical . . .
What are some of the trials you are currently going through?
· What are some of the ways you could respond?
· What are the ramifications that would result with each of the responses you listed?
· Based on God’s word and the leading of His Spirit, what is the obedient thing to do that reveals God’s wisdom?