May 22, 2016
“Not Home Yet: Grace to the
1 Peter 5:1-14
Humility in Leadership . . .
Strong leadership is always clothed in humility.
- Leaders within the church should lead willingly without
- Leaders within the church should lead eagerly with an intense
- Leaders within the church should lead in a way that
Humility in Following . . .
Submitting to leaders within the church, who are submitting to
Christ, is for your edification and God’s glory.
“Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of
God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate
their faith.” Hebrews 13:7
“Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping
watch over your souls, as those who will have to give
account. Let them do this with joy and not groaning, for that
would be of no advantage to you.” Hebrews 13:17
Finding Grace In Humility and Opposition in Pride . .
- Humility is to be the defining essence of a Christ-follower.
- Humility is rightly assessing our lives appropriately in light
of who God is.
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom
of heaven.” Matthew 5:3
- Humility is the door through which grace (v. 5)
- At my most honest place, God pours out undeserved grace that
gives me a living hope of the praise and exaltation of Christ. (1
- Humility is entrusting your life to the One who is worthy of
“Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God
. . .casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you.”
- Pride is contending for supremacy with God, and lifting up our
- God’s opposition is immediate and constant against the one who
sets his heart against God.
- Pride is the weapon of choice that Satan uses most effectively
to devour and destroy.
Responding with Humility . . .
- Be sober-minded.
- Be watchful.
- Resist the enemy.
- Stand firm in your faith.
Sustaining Grace . . .
- God’s grace restores.
- God’s grace strengthens.
- God’s grace gives us resolve to not give up.
- God’s grace our foundation.