Apr 8, 2013
If Jesus overcame that I might overcome, then why do I still feel as though I can’t overcome sin in my life?
One of two answers . . .
· I do not know Christ; therefore, I am still in my sins.
o I am spiritually dead. (Ephesians 2:1-3; Colossians 2:13-14)
o His Spirit does not dwell in me.
o I am helplessly and hopelessly in bondage to sin.
· I am in Christ, but sin reigns in me.
“Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions.” (Romans 6:12)
What must I do to overcome?
1. I must completely surrender to Christ.
· Not a conditional surrender, but unconditional.
o We come to Christ on His terms, not ours.
2. I must know the truth of God’s Word. (John 8:31-32; Psalm 119:11)
· God’s Word is always more than sufficient for the moments and circumstances of life.
· Your life will be saturated by what your heart is immersed in.
3. I must completely obey God’s Word. (Luke 11:28; John 14:15; James 2:22)
· Daily surrender (Luke 9:23; Romans 6:12-13)
· Daily subversion (Proverbs 14:12; Proverbs 12:15; Romans 6:20-23)
4. I must completely rely on the power of God’s Spirit at work in me. (Galatians 5:16-24; Ephesians 3:14-21)
I must surrender . . .