Jan 18, 2015
Jesus’ Public Statement . . .
1. Jesus publicly displayed His complete obedience to God the Father.
“Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Matthew 3:15
2. Jesus visibly demonstrated the gospel effect that His death and resurrection would bring.
· New life through His death and resurrection. (2 Cor. 5:17-21)
· New identity with Christ in His death and resurrection. (Romans 6:3-4; Galatians 2:20)
3. Jesus publicly appealed for all to be reconciled to God. (2 Corinthians 5:18-20)
4. Jesus was publicly affirmed by God the Father. (Mark 1:11)
“You are My beloved Son, with You I am pleased.”
Truth Statement: Jesus amplified the gospel through His obedient act of baptism.
My Public Statement . . .
· My decision to surrender to Christ as Savior needs to be declared to the world through the obedient act of baptism.
· I demonstrate the effect of the gospel on my life when I obediently profess my new life and identity in Christ through baptism.
o Baptism is a declaration to the world that you are a child of God.
Truth Statement: Baptism is an act of obedience to God that amplifies the gospel of Christ to the world.
· In other words, it’s a big deal!
Small Group Discussion:
1. Discuss why you believe Jesus began His ministry with His baptism?
2. The word “baptize” comes from a Greek word that literally means to “submerge, immerse, dip or dunk.” Why do you believe that this is the only means by which baptism is spoken of in the Scriptures? What is it a picture or symbolic of?
3. How does baptism amplify the gospel effect or testimony in your life?
4. Baptism does not save a person, rather it is a declaration of one who has turned from sin and turned to Christ for the forgiveness of sin. Share with your group how you came to Christ and the significance of your baptism.
5. If you have not followed through with baptism and would like to speak with a staff member to discuss being baptized, please email us at email@example.com