Apr 2, 2017
“My God, my God, why have You forsaken Me?” (Matthew
What Jesus Knew . . .
- Jesus knew that He would pay the price for our sin. (Mark 2:20;
Luke 9:22,44; 18:31-33; John 18:4)
- The agony Jesus would suffer, and the victory He would secure,
were not a surprise to Him.
- Jesus trusted the sovereignty of His Father. (Isaiah 53:10;
Psalm 22:7b, 24
What Jesus Experienced . . .
- He did not just feel rejected and abandoned by God, He was
rejected and abandoned.
Why Jesus Was Forsaken . . .
- He bore all the weight of our sin. (Isaiah 53:4)
- He bore the curse of sin. (2 Corinthians 5:21; Galatians 3:13;
- God’s final act towards His Son would be His full wrath poured
out in judgment of sin.
- He was forsaken so that we would not have to be forsaken.
- Jesus substituted Himself in our place.
Why It Matters . . .
- So that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. (1 Peter
So What? . . .